The resort "Staraya Russa" has been operating since 1828. He appeared at the place of unloading natural discharge of highly mineralized water. These waters since ancient times were used for salt production (one of the existing wells No. 4, dated to the year 1370).
With the production of salt was seen and their medicinal properties. The first scientific study of old Russian mineral waters produced in 1815 by doctor F. P. Haase, who proved their unquestionable properties. In 1828, the court physician, G. Rauch conducted their study of mineral waters and also received information about their medicinal properties. His report was approved, and the decision was made to build treatment facilities for the lower ranks of the Russian army. In the mid-nineteenth century, the resort "Staraya Russa mineral water" and other six major resorts were in state custody. High efficiency of the treatment began to attract the upper class, well-known figures of literature, art, members of the Royal family.
After the October revolution Resort resumed operation in 1919. Since 1925, the old Russian resort the first in the country went on year-round job. By 1941, the Resort reaches its maximum development and has 1,100 beds. During the great Patriotic war, the city and the Resort was razed to the ground. After the liberation of the city in December, 1946, adopted the first 50 patients. In early 70-ies of his recovery is over. The capacity of the Resort has reached 1250 beds. Improved and developed medical facilities, introducing new diagnostic and treatment techniques. As a result, achieved a high efficiency of treatment of patients over 96%. In 1971 the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR Staraya Russa resort received the status of "the Resort of national importance". In March 1994, the Resort "Staraya Russa" was registered as a joint stock company of closed type.